Monday, May 17, 2010

Chicken Curry Soup

This is such a great crock pot recipe!! We had this last night and boy was it tasty!! And really, can you go wrong with a crock pot recipe?? I think not! Nothing like coming home from church (at 430) and having your dinner already made... 
Chicken Curry Soup
(recipe and photo provided by Prudence Pennywise)
5 cups chicken broth
3/4 lb chicken, cut  into 1 inch pieces (or add it uncut and frozen-shred later)
1 large onion, diced
1 tart apple, peeled and diced
2 medium potatoes, peelied and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1/2 cup white or brown long grain rice

Optional 1/2 cup cream
For Serving: 
Fresh lime or lemon wedges
chopped cilantro
Place all in the Crockpot- Cook on hight for 3-4 hrs, or low for 6-8. Stir in cream if using at end!

For some reason, each time I cook this, I either forget or choose to leave out the cream- i'm sure it makes it taste wonderful- but without it, the soup is more stew- and still VERY tasty! I also thought about substituting the cream for coconut milk- might taste really good  in this- just an idea. I think I am going to try it next time!)

enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I made this today and it was delicious. I made a few changes though- I added more cardamom, tumeric, black pepper, and cumin, as well as some curry powder that had a little kick. I took half of the soup and blended it so it wasn't quite as chunky. Then I shredded the chicken. This also made it a little more thick. Then I added the rice about 1 hour before serving. I also added about 1 cup plain yogurt and 1/2 can coconut milk at the end. Definitely one I'll keep on the list

    ReplyDelete